Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sweet Nothings - A Thorough Review

So I brought a box of the new no calorie sweetener Truvia to work today and set it next to the Splenda for my peps to try. Truvia is marketed as "nature's no calorie sweetener" made from leaves of the stevia plant. I first heard about this in December while driving to the Miami airport, and since it is a three and a half hour drive, I heard the same NPR segment three times. Not sure why we didn't change the station... anyway.

Normally, I would use raw unrefined cane sugar, but the office has always had Splenda, so I kind of got in the habit of using that at work... and it is delicious. But, convinced that Truvia was better than Splenda I designed the experiment... Well so far I have to say I prefer Splenda. Truvia smells like cotton candy, which isn't a bad thing. They claim that one packet has the same sweetness as two teaspoons of sugar, but it seems to me that it takes more packets to achieve the same level of sweetness... However, maybe I am conditioned to Splenda and sugar, and Truvia is just a different kind of sweetness... We will see; there are 40 packets in the box... I am not sure what others think yet but I have a feeling it is not going to catch on here...

But don't let this opinion suade you from trying it. I will probably try it a few more times myself.

No comments: