Sunday, January 25, 2009

B-52's are Back

Its that time of year again. On our walk this morning Big Guns and I saw a huge flock of white pelicans glide over my 'hood. There must have been 500 of them. They have been down for a while but this is the largest flock I have seen this year. They are so big, yet so stealthy; seems like they never have to flap their wings. I didn't even hear them, just happened to catch a glimpse of the graceful gliders out of the corner of my eye.

I saw a story this morning about a plane aborting take-off in Orlando because the pilot thought he had hit a flock of birds. In lite of the recent water landing on the Hudson, I can understand the sensitivity to that. I thought it was interesting, though, the way they shaped the story to almost blame bird conservation efforts for an increase in the occurrence of these incidents... That may be a reasonable assumption... But hmm, there's an interesting dilemma...

No comments: