Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hoop ...umm...la? Not So Much

So I've been "running" with the "ballers" more and more lately at the Y (aka Young Mens Christian Association--the perfect place for me). I shoot around pretty much everyday, and for the first few months I shied away from getting in on any games. I am not a bad shot, some (i.e., me) would say I am sweet, but when you put me in the fast pace of a game I can't keep up with the kids.

Over time I started getting picked up as the last player and would get completely schooled out of my skin-tight cotton tank top. But recently I have been getting some "cred" and have been brought into more games (still the last player). Now that I am getting used to the pace of running I am scoring quite a bit more.

At this point I would consider myself a regular. I know all the other guys and they know me, not by name, though, of course. Part of me (actually the dominant, self-critical part of me) thinks the others are taking it easy on the crippled kid. They say nice things after the games, but, come on, I suck... I just say thanks... On one hand I appreciate the recognition but on the other, I am embarrassed. My biggest thing is not being pitied. This goes way back to childhood; ashamed of the breaks I received, thinking I was overcoming, when actually I was being helped along... boat loads of shame, day after day, more of the same... competitive male that can't physically compete... ay-yai. need to stop this.

No comments: