Sunday, November 30, 2008

Nothing Short of Thankful

The older I get the more Thanksgiving emerges as my favorite holiday. I pretty much had the whole week off because I suffered through the worst training course of my life last weekend in Tampa. So I had plenty of time to get my life in order and enjoy the holiday.

Folks came here this year. Since it is my favorite holiday I have somewhat elevated expectations. There are certain things that I want to eat/have/do on Thanksgiving and I know if I don't make them happen I am not going to get them (i.e., fried turkey, green bean casserole, listen to Alice's Resturant on the WRIF at noon, the Lions, and of course being surrounded by fellow lost souls). I have a few new things to add to my list of Thanksgiving musts after this year - pre-dinner hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps (reminds me of tailgating at MSU) and rock shrimp appetizers, corn bread salad and ridiculous brownies from Something Sweet (brownies with Snickers and chocolate chips mixed in, topped with ~18 inches of chocolate frosting, topped with more chunks of snickers and chocolate chips). Casey came through with the GB casserole this year along with some delicious twice baked sweet potatoes and corn bread stuffing... Thats right, the men did all the cooking... Just making sure my expectations are met....

We went out to the Refuge Friday morn and saw lots of ducks including a Eurasian Wigeon and a Ross's Goose. We also saw a bobcat sunbathing about 25' away. He didn't have a care in the world, just bathin'.

Grateful... good company, good food, new begins, the hot tub ;-)

No comments: