Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Buoy-ya!

So I've been collecting buoys for probably over a year now. Not exactly sure why I started, but after a while it became a quest, seeking the strangest, furtherest traveled, weirdest, ugliest, whateverest. I am sorta intrigued or maybe envious of the journey some of them have been on. Each one has its own story. Each one driftin', maybe landing on a beach for a couple days, maybe setting sail again. Or maybe it spent most of its life tied to a crab trap waiting for that rogue boater to set it free with his prop. Some are colorful, some are plastic, some have barnacles, some are not whole, some have a tether... and somehow they seem to make their way to me.

I selfishly snag them, or maybe I rescue them, and put them on display in my back yard. I have about 70-80ish now. They are not all mine though. Some days I would come into my office and find a buoy laying on my desk... Sometimes they ended up in my truck... semi-anonymously... Other times people have just given me ones they have found. I kind of prefer these actually...

Lately the isolation of this place has... See our lives are much like buoys. Sometimes in life we can get tied down to a cause, compromising self and losing sight of purpose. Then things can be shaken up, we lose our tether, bob in the current. We drift, sometimes too far, until we can't see what was, and may never be again. We become victims of circumstance, at the mercy of our surroundings. But we also have to know that things have a way of coming back around, that what was, doesn't always have to be. We just have to keep our heads above the water and float on. Look out on the horizon, there is a new day, there is a new place, new opportunities, a new smile ;). One day circumstances will land you on that new beach. The waves will wash away your tracks and you will find meaning again... And I will pick you up and put you on my fence!

This is why I am launching my Paint a Buoy for El Jefe Campaign. Tapping into your creativity is soothing and meaningful. Expressing and giving is rewarding...

So here is what I want... I have a bunch of plain white buoys, I want my peps to paint, draw on, carve, defile, write a poem on, etc. them, however you see fit. Make it as abstract, personal, lite, or profound as you want. While I originally wanted these as mementos of my friendships, and would definitely appreciate and cherish those, I think it would be just as appropriate to personalize them however you see fit... You can do this anonymously, but I want them on my fence!

So please send me your personalized buoys. Get in touch with me, even if we don't know each other...

Now don't you worry, we'll all float on...
Even if things get heavy, we'll all float on...
Bad news comes, don't you worry even when it lands...

Good news will work its way into all them plans...

We'll float on, GOOD NEWS IS ON THE WAY!

No comments: