Monday, March 9, 2009

1/14 Marathon

I ran in my first race this weekend--the Stingray Shuffle at Brevard Zoo. It was only a 3k, but a challenge for me. It was harder than what I thought because most of the route was on sandy gravel... which also made it pretty dusty for us in the back of the herd. I had only trained on hard surfaces so I expended more energy on the sand/gravel. I finished in 569th place out of ~840ish people. It was a sweet victory for me. Personal milestone. I have never done anything like that before. I ran the whole way. Didn't walk any part, though there were people power walking faster than I was running. As we approached the finish this lady was like "come on catch up with her", talking about this girl in front of me. I ignored it for a second but than decided to push it. I caught up to her just before the finish, but let her cross before me.

Super Ed came down to watch. He is injured right now so he couldn't run. He probably would have won the whole thing if he was running... or at least it would have been a close finish. As it was the winner finished almost a minute ahead of the second place runner. It was nice to have somebody there. As much as I don't like to acknowledge ever needing support, I secretly appreciated him being there.

I made the mistake of swapping out good batteries for bad in my camera so I didn't get any pictures. But I did get a pretty cool shirt to prove that I at least paid the entrance fee.

No comments: